Indeed, the .PDF is "just another bytestream", like Postscript, AFP, IPDS,
PCL, etc.  It just seems there should be a way to use the spool to "hold" it
(in whatever-size "chunks" is convenient) without having ANSI
carriage-control characters prefixed onto each "chunk".  I.e., we're not
trying to turn the .PDF file into the equivalent of a "COBOL Print File";
we're trying NOT to do so.

It seems that that "can't be done" if the target is a SYSOUT dataset.

    -jc-