John

First I'd like to mention that your first choice for a short version of z/OS
UNIX
System Services, namely z/OS UNIX, may well be IBM's - considered - first
choice. It is what is used in the library web pages such as

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/zshelves10.html

Let us hope that those on the list who are open to reasoned argument adopt
this as their preferred means of reference.

As Pat indicated, your question regarding the relationship
between "Unformatted System Services" and "z/OS UNIX System Services"
falls down with what I left out of the above, namely VTAM. It has actually
just been shown in a parallel thread, "USSTAB" that the correct USS is not
only alive and well but has been, as it were, "taken over" by the IP side of
Communications Server - from the VTAM, SNA, side. Only for the benefit of
users of USS commands and messages of the TN3270 server - the possible
point of contact and confusion with UNIX System Services - can system
symbols be substituted into USS messages to the TN3270 client.

> "I'm having a problem with USS! Please help!". Such messages I ignore.

In my case, being one of the few to bother dealing with VTAM matters, I need
to examine posts with such a thread title - and it's a pain when 9 times out of
10, maybe more, it's the wrong "USS"! - But I'm complaining only because
prompted!

Incidentally, you needn't have invented your thread title. We had a prime
example over the end of June/beginning of July: "A few dumb USS questions".
At least the first line mentioned POSIX.

Chris Mason

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:47:55 -0500, McKown, John
<jmck...@healthmarkets.com> wrote:

> [...]
Services the same context? Unless somebody says something unhelpful
like: "I'm having a problem with USS! Please help!". Such messages I ignore. A
proper message should say something about whether the context is VTAM or
UNIX. Unless the forum in which it is posted makes it obvious. E.g. VTAM USS
questions should not be posted in MVS-OE. Of course, IBM-MAIN, is very
generic, but a properly phrased question should resolve the context properly.

>However, just to say, I almost always say z/OS UNIX or just UNIX. I don't
even like others' use of OMVS because I might not be sure if they mean the
TSO OMVS command or as a generic for z/OS UNIX.