On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:53:29 +0200, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

>Gibney, Dave pisze:
>> VSAM (and all SMS datasets) can't exist without being cataloged.
>
>Well... To be accurate: they cannot be *used* without being cataloged.
>But they can exist.
>

>> Shared
>> Catalogs are not "safe" without integrity protection.
>
>Huh? AFAIK It is safe and fully supported to share an UCAT without GRS
>or MIM. That means RESERVEs and can hurt performance, but it is possible
>to safely and effectively share low-used UCAT. BTDT.

Somehow I missed commenting on that part in my last response.  Yes,
RESERVE will protect the catalog (but again, not the data sets cataloged in the
catalog).  From the Managing Catalogs manual:

"CATALOG MANAGEMENT uses the SYSIGGV2 reserve while serializing
access to catalogs. The SYSIGGV2 reserve is used to serialize the entire
catalog BCS component across all I/O as well as to serialize access to
specific catalog entries. The SYSZVVDS reserve is used to serialize
access to associated VVDS records. The SYSZVVDS reserve along
with the SYSIGGV2 reserve provide an essential mechanism to facilitate
cross system sharing of catalogs."

--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com