As the only Sysprog here (real or otherwise), I understand your time concerns.
However, in my situation I decided that the benefits outweighed the cost (in
time).  I find that many of the features of SYSPLEX can save me quite a bit of
time (once it is set up).  Just the simplicity of having all DASD online to all
systems can be a benefit.  Of course, YMMV, but I think many small shops decide
against SYSLEX without ever considering the benefits.

I am curious why you still put a $ next to SYSPLEX?

>>> "Gibney, Dave" <gib...@wsu.edu> 8/9/2009 5:39 PM >>>
VSAM (and all SMS datasets) can't exist without being cataloged. Shared
Catalogs are not "safe" without integrity protection. Integrity
protection takes MIM ($) or Sysplex ($) and both require time to
configure and maintain. As the only real z/OS Sysprog here, I'm hard
pressed to keep up as it is, so it's unlikely I'll ever plex and I know
we'll never buy MIM.

I should have been more specific. I only share a limited set of non-SMS
volumes and I do not put VSAM on them. Our CIS guy uses his shared
volumes for some VSAM, but the data is not really shared as the Catalogs
are not shared.

I don't share any SMS pools. If they want Production data for testing,
they have to make a copy (generally using a couple of shared volumes
designated for that specific purpose). Most of the shared datasets are
JCL, PROC, LOAD, ISPxLIB, PARMLIB(s), etc.

I am fully aware of the risks I'm taking (I think so anyway).

What I need to do to remain employed here until retirement is learn then
convince the Powers that Be, that zLinux is the best platform for the
Oracle based ERP that's almost inevitable.

> Thanks for you patience in educating this lowly applications
developer.

> Frank
> --
>
> Frank Swarbrick
> Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development
> FirstBank Data Corporation
> Lakewood, CO  USA
> P: 303-235-1403
> F: 303-235-2075
>

> On 8/9/2009 at 11:45 AM, in message
> <listserv%200908091245525790.0...@bama.ua.edu>, Mark Zelden
> <mark.zel...@zurichna.com> wrote:
> > If children play with fire, they will eventually get burned!
> >

> > On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:42:04 -0600, Frank Swarbrick
> > <frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> wrote:
> >
> >>That is exactly what I did.  Well, "as quickly as I could type", in
any
> case.
> >>We have PDSESHARING(NORMAL) in our IGDSMSxx file, for whatever that
> might
> > be worth.
> >>

> > It's worth nothing in regards to sharing PDSE across sysplex
boundaries
> for
> > anything but READ ONLY functions.
> >
> >>On 8/8/2009 at 1:31 AM, in message
> >><edfbe8a9b39ed541ba3c8177c32ff0c8bc3...@exchangevs-02.ad.wsu.edu>,
> >
> > There is no command or facility to do that.  There is the sledge
hammer
> > approach of IPLing.   :-)   Well... it may not be all that bad -
more
> below.

> > Apparently he did.  But why?  (more below)

On

> in
> will
> find
> >>>>

> > This probably worked for 2 reasons:
> >
> > 1) Nothing else had the target loadlib allocated and / or opened.
> >
> > 2) PDSE(1)_BUFFER_BEYOND_CLOSE was not set to YES.
> >
> > Try the same test again with the target (output) PDSE loadlib that
is in
> > use by a long running address space, say... a CICS region.  Or how
about
> > a library that happens to be in LLA or the LNKLST.
> >
> > Changes to PDSE data sets in a sysplex are communicated via XCF.
Which
> > means if you don't have a sysplex, you are S.O.L. when it comes to
> sharing
> > PDSEs that need to have changes made (update).
> >
> > I mentioned the sledge hammer approach of IPLing above.   The same
goal
> > can probably be achieved (reading a "fresh copy" of the PDSE) if you
can
> > make sure no address spaces are using the PDSE and you aren't using
the
> > PDSE(1)_BUFFER_BEYOND_CLOSE=YES option.     But that could be a
> > really difficult task in a production environment depending on the
> library.
> >
> > Mark
> > --
> > Mark Zelden
> > Sr. Software and Systems Architect - z/OS Team Lead
> > Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group - ZFUS G-ITO
> > mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com
> > z/OS Systems Programming expert at
> http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/
> > Mark's MVS Utilities: http://home.flash.net/~mzelden/mvsutil.html

> > send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN
INFO
> > Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
>

> The information contained in this electronic communication and any
> document attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and
> intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity named
above.
> If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the
> employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient,
> you are hereby notified that any examination, use, dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication or any part thereof is
> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error,
> please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this
> communication.  Thank you.

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.