Yes, GRS using XCF is far superior in many ways, I would certainly not advise
using GRS ring (without XCF) for a 4 way GRSplex, but using XCF it would
certainly work.  Of course, GRS-Star would be even better, but that is a little
trickier.

BTW, for small packets of data, I believe ESCON links are actually faster than
FICON.  I think I have seen a paper on this, but I can't remember where.

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:01:42 -0700, Gibney, Dave <gib...@wsu.edu> wrote:

>True, and last time we revamped the IODF I had the required CTC(s)
>added. That was over a year ago when we brought in the z9-BC and is the
>last time I had a chance to take a baby step that direction. Also, on
>this list, I'm led to understand that our four would LPARs push or
>exceed GRS ring performance.

Yes, for the "old" GRS ring, 4 systems would probably be a bigger performance
hit than you would ever want.   However, if you set up a basic sysplex, GRS
performance using XCF is better than dedicated CTC links.  Especially since
you can have FICON CTCs.  Dedicated GRS links (what I referred to as "old"
above) can't get any faster than ESCON in basic mode.  So even XCF links
using ESCON in CTC mode is faster and may give you acceptable performance
with 4 systems.  As usual, YMMV.    I can't say I have been in any 4 system
GRS ring (using XCF) shops in the last 10 years, so perhaps someone with
that configuration can share.  I do have plenty of experience with GRS ring
prior to sysplex and I can say that even a 3 system ring presented some
performance.. um... challenges.  :-)

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.