On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 07:36:42 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 06:56:07 -0400, Dave Salt wrote:
>>
>>The only way you could get the time to keep refreshing is if you keep
pressing an interrupt key to manually keep refreshing the panel, or display
the panel in LOCK mode (so it automatically keeps refreshing itself). But if
the panel is displayed in LOCK mode this means a user can't enter any data;
i.e. the entire mainframe session is locked. I doubt this is what you want,
so in short, you're stuck with it working the way you already have it.

>That's *so* twentieth century!
>
>Since the advocates often argue that mainframes are more economical
>than small systems, why is this feature readily available on desktops,
>but not on mainframes where it should be cheaper?

I think this is an artifact that the 3270 data stream is really designed to
be "half duplex", like the old walkie-talkies. Each side tells the other
that it has control of the transmission. This is especially true in TSO.
Now, I do remember z/VM's or maybe CMS's control of the 3270 was more "full
duplex" like.

>There's one ISPF function (I forget which) that lately shows a
>progress bar.
>
>It's a continual source of irritation that I can't put SCSV in
>auto-refresh and go edit a file in the other split.

Again, since ISPF is a TSO application, it is held hostage to TSO's poor
terminal I/O paradigm.

>It's a continual source of irritation that I can't split between
>OMVS and Edit, for example.

Complain to the OMVS developers. OMVS is not an ISPF application. It is a
native TSO application. Native TSO applications do not support split screen.

>Why does DDLIST show the message, "Searching data sets not on screen"
>rather than scrolling so they appear?

<snip>
>I believe that nowadays much of the duplex interaction would be possible
>with modern 3270s.  VTAM is much the culprit for prohibiting it.

Actually, I think it is more TSO, but maybe VTAM as well. z/OS consoles
certainly do "full duplex" fairly well.

>Why is horizontal scrolling so much more difficult than vertical scrolling
>in ISPF?

I don't understand this. I use PF9 and PF10 with no problems.