Don Leahy wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Paul Gilmartin<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
Why does Find in a large file pause each time after a fixed number of
lines and prompt for continuing rather than displaying a progress
counter and letting the user interrupt?

Huh? Except for SDSF, FIND doesn't pause after a fixed number of
lines; it keeps going until a hit or until EOF.

This is an area in which there is much room for improvement. I can't even begin to explain the rationale for existing behaviors of most ISPF applications and SDSF. But, they are both bad.

If you press ATTN to interrupt a long running transaction, most ISPF applications (e.g., BROWSE) will terminate; the next screen you see is the Primary Option Menu. SDSF has a facility (FINDLIM?) to search 'n' lines per FIND which is also extremely annoying behavior...

By contrast, (E)JES lets you press ATTN to interrupt long-running transactions whenever you want. For example, if you're doing a long FIND and you press ATTN, you get a message that tells you the FIND operation was interrupted near line 'n'.

IMHO, that's exactly how an intuitive application should behave. And, if we can do it, so can everyone else. Lazy programmers?!

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc