Hello all,
 We are running 2084-303 which provides us 191 MSUs. We have 4 LPARs.
Only in a couple of months new workload will start running in production on
this machine that will actually require all 191 MSUs, so meanwhile each LPAR
has its own Defined Capacity defined.
 The defined capacity during the day is curretly:
PROD - 30
TEST - 15
DEV - 50
SANDBOX - 5
Which adds up to 100 MSUs -- so we are actually using a little over half the
machine.
 Before the night shift, we change the MSUs to:
 PROD - 55
TEST - 10
DEV - 30
SANDBOX - 5
Which still adds up to 100 MSUs.
 Currently, the change is done manually by the operators.
 From time to time we notice that one LPAR is using 100% cpu for long
periods of time and is WLM Capped 100%, while other LPARs arent using a lot
of cpu. What we would like to do is to detect this situation and
automatically change the MSUs in favour of the LPAR running at 100% cpu. For
example - if the PROD is at 100% during the night, we would like to take 20
more MSUs from the DEV LPAR and add them to the PROD. We dont want to breach
the 100 MSUs limit, it is more than enough, we just need to change MSU
"weight" within these 100 MSUs.
 The perfect solution would have been to define a Defined Capacity to the
entire machine and then define weights and no capping as usual, within this
defined capacity (I heard something about being able to do this on System z9
running z/OS 1.8 ??).
While writing these lines i'm thinking we just shouldnt have enabled that
3rd CP yet.. but thats the situation now.
 We dont use System Automation, so what would you recommend as the best
solution to dynamically change the Defined Capacity in that case? Currently,
the best idea I got is to write a program which uses the HMC API to change
the Defined Capacity according to some simple predefined rules.
 Thanks,
Gil.