On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:30:35 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg <hal9...@panix.com>
wrote:

>My question is why waste the time/effort to go to from v1.4 to v1.7
>only to get one year of support when going to v1.8 would seem to be
>the same time/effort and would result in a number of years of
>support. It is not as if v1.8 was bleeding edge and thus a larger
>risk than v1.7.

This sort of thing has been discussed many times.  I have no idea what
the exact circumstances are here, but if you need coexistence, you have
to stay within the supported coexistence levels.  This is not the same as
"jumping forward" or even (unsupported) fallback.  I'm talking about
running a mixed complex (shared spool, catalogs, dasd, various control
data sets for HSM, RMM, etc.).   If your business is willing to make the
jump forward for all systems at the same time, then you can do it.  If
not, you have to stay within the supported coexistence levels.   And no,
the extended support for z/OS 1.7 and z/OS 1.8 does not address this
issue.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden