I'm sorry - I didn't read Gilbert's example closely enough.
One possibility would be to have the program see the last valuable of a
given variable before the step was executed, sinces it is uncommon to set a
variable more than once in the scope of a given step.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com