Ohh Bacula - I'd forgotten about that. I did some interesting testing
using a suggestion David Boyes put out. Basically exported an NFS share
from z/OS mounted on the Linux instance of the Bacula File Server and
hasd Bacula do disk backups to the NFS Share. We had HSM managing the
exported HLQ on z/OS to migrate to tape aggessivily, and Bacula managed
the expiration and deletion of the "tapes" that were really disk files.

Worked really well over the hipersockets.

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 15:44 -0500, Thomas Kern wrote:
> We use two different levels of backup.
>
> File-level backup/restore is done from within the linux instance. We use
> Tivoli Storage Manager, but FDR/Upstream or even Bacula can be used.
>
> Disaster Recovery backups are done with the linux instances down (logged off
> not just idle). I have used native z/VM DDR command and some other
> non-standard processes (pipeddr). You can also use a backup/restore like
> CA's VM:Backup. We currently use ADRDSSU on z/OS to backup all of the z/VM &
> Linux volumes together.
>
> Both levels of backup are really necessary for a full implementation of
> Linux under VM. For a POC, I would settle for the DR backups either native
> or under z/OS. The choice there being if you have any z/VM expertise on the
> project, go for the z/VM, if all of your experiences have been with z/OS,
> stick with what you know.
>
> /Tom Kern
> /U.S. Dept of Energy
> /301-903-2211 (Office)
> /301-905-6427 (Mobile)

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.