I believe that a significant factor in what companies choose for their
future IS needs is their perception on what skills the job market will
have in the future.

Some skills appear to be self-taught.   If the tools are cheap, such
as HTML, BASH, and Java, kids in school are perceived as being
experienced in those skills if they have used them for projects and
hobby use.    And that perception is probably at least as accurate as
assuming someone who took a course in MVS is ready to be productive.

Part of the problem is that companies don't expect their employees to
stay around for their careers as much as they did in the past.
Training them to work for their competitors is not attractive - just
hire the competitors' workforce instead.   (self-destructive behavior)

So how does this perception get changed?    How do (we) change the
mind set of upper management into considering that mainframes still
are a cost-effective long term solution?