Hi folks

Like many card-processing organisations worldwide, we're going through the
audit for PCI-S at the moment.

I'm being constantly harrased by our risk team to provide some means of control
over user passwords - at first they were demanding that all passwords contained
at least 10 characters, comprised of a mixture of upper and lower case,
numerics and special characters, but after me explaining to them that they
could only have upper case, numerics and only three special characters in an
eight-character length, they revised their demands.

Now they're insisting that I provide some sort of mechanism to enforce password
complexity, ie, something that forces users to implement passwords that have at
least a given number of characters,  numerics, and special characters, with no
repetitions etc etc.

I don't really have the time to do this and I'm arguing that I don't see what
benefit we will get from the considerable amount of effort that I will have to
put into designing, coding and testing such a routine, and then there's the
question of risk of malfunction to do subsequent operating system release
changes etc.

Basically, I don't want to do it, and I'm looking for good excuses not to.

Have any of you gone through PCI accreditation and, if so, did you have to
address this?

Thanks

Brian
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction NetworkServices.

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution isprohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact thesender by reply e-mail and