This may be SMF keeping the "pieces" it needs to build the SMF records
at task termination.

A key symptom would be a long shutdown time for the task and an apparent
CPU loop in the task after a "xxx is shutting down" message.

If this is the case, reference the DDCONS parameter of SMFPRMxx.

What is the working set for the application? Unless you have done some
things unlikely to have been done for a "application program", I can
almost guarantee the working set is not 17,000 pages.

HTH,

<snip>
I currently try to find a obscure memory leak in one of our
applications. After some days our appl occupies ~17.000 pages of real
memory  (needs just ~1.500 after startup).

As we track all malloc(), calloc(), realloc() and free() function calls,

I can say that there is no obvious memory leak....

Now... after I've looked at the JESYSMSG I've noticed that we've done
approx 17.000 DYNALLOCs, everyone with a different DD-Name (we let the
z/OS generate a unique one, like "SYS00001", "SYS00002", "SYS00003" and
so on)..... to be clear: *NOT* ~17.000 at the same time. mostly only one

at the same time...
</snip>