-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael Knigge
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 3:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Does a DD-Statement "waste memory" after dealloc?

All,

I currently try to find a obscure memory leak in one of our
applications. After some days our appl occupies ~17.000 pages of real
memory  (needs just ~1.500 after startup).

As we track all malloc(), calloc(), realloc() and free() function calls,

I can say that there is no obvious memory leak....

Now... after I've looked at the JESYSMSG I've noticed that we've done
approx 17.000 DYNALLOCs, everyone with a different DD-Name (we let the
z/OS generate a unique one, like "SYS00001", "SYS00002", "SYS00003" and
so on)..... to be clear: *NOT* ~17.000 at the same time. mostly only one

at the same time...

Of couse, we deallocate them after we've finished using the DD-Name, but

I wonder that even after a DEALLOC (with SVC99) there is some space
still occupied....

Why? Because of performance? Because of some kind of control block that
can only grow but not shrink?
<SNIPPAGE>

We have found two things in this area. Both are involved in LSQA. One
has to do with ACEE (and associated storage) and the other is the
dynamic allocation. We also used DYNAMNBR on EXEC statements (see JCL
REF).

You may find that this alleviates some of the storage creep.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --