On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:50:29 +0100, J. Cassidy <s...@jdcassidy.net> wrote:

>** Already cross-posted to IBMVM **
>

>Hello all,
>
>am trying to run (believe it or not) an OS/390 2.4 guest under z/VM 5.3
>(0703) on a CP (z990).
>
>The usual CP Directory statements are in place, memory is 1G.
>
>I am getting as far as the first reply request, see below:

<snip>

>I hope this is not an "architectural" problem..

It is.  You need at least OS/390 2.10 or higher plus the add-on compatibility
and/or exploitation support.

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/WebIndex/FLASH10236

You can also search the archives.   There was a post in April 2006 and
from Jim Mulder that suggested that this VM setting might get around
the problem, but I don't recall anyone ever reporting that it worked or not:

#CP TRACE IPTE RUN NOTERM

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0604&L=ibm-main&D=1&amp;O=D&P=16015

Mark
--