I wish we had the MVCIN instruction back in the day.  In the
banking/finance industries, we use a device
called a check reader/sorter.  Today, that device from IBM is a 3890.
Prior to the 3890, the device was
a 1419.  It was bus/tag channel attached to the mainframe.  IBM provided
READ/WRITE macro support
for the 1419 device to read the MICR line ( the line of characters on the
bottom of the check ) and to write the
stacker number your 'stacker select' routine wanted the reader/sorter to
place the check in.  The
READ/WRITE macro support was nice, you didn't have to deal with channel
programs, etc.  However,
one issue you did have to deal with was the format of the read buffer.  The
right-hand edge of the check
is feed into the machine first, so the data was read right to left.
Therefore, the data would be in the read
buffer opposite of the way you would have thought and would want to
process.  For example, if the
amount on your check was: $1234.56, the read buffer ( left-justified )
would look like this: 6543210000
( the decimal point is implied ).  When I looked at my first 'stacker
select' routine and saw what was needed
to 'properly position' the data, I thought: Wouldn't a 'move character
inverse' instruction work really nice.
However, I saw a creative way to use 2 instructions that would reverse the
data in the read buffer.  Remember
this code was originally written for a S/360 Model 30 machine.  Anyone have
a guess what these instructions
were/are?

Glenn Miller

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.