that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> Less than two decades ago, I had to work overtime and save money
> to afford a 200 MB external SCSI drive, and I had to ride my
> bicycle two miles, uphill both ways, to CompUSA to buy it.
> You should be grateful that your management allows you to use
> 150 times that storage capacity, even temporarily.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#67 Now is time for banks to replace core
system according to Accenture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#68 Now is time for banks to replace core
system according to Accenture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#69 Now is time for banks to replace core
system according to Accenture

early days of 3380 ... there was a study that showed if full/active
3350s were moved to same amount of space on 3380s ... it would degrade
system thruput. the issue was that 3380 space increased by a factor
larger than the increase in 3380 arm performance.

there was a suggestion floated around SHARE to have a special "fast"
3380 that sold at higher price ... which only had half as much disk
space (reducing the amount of space under an arm). it was actually a
standard full-sized 3380 with special microcode load that limited access
to only half the cylinders. the share claim was this was solution
targeted at the bureaucrats that didn't have the discipline to do it on
their own (and if they weren't required to pay more ... they wouldn't
appreciate it as much).

internally we had an application that would take activity profile of
existing installation (3330, 3350, etc) and produce a migration strategy
that would load-balance the data across pool of 3380s. for 3350
installation ... it was fairly consistent that the 3380s were only
loaded to about 80% full ... in order to have the same thruput as the
3350 environment. there was then a bunch of work about doing such
activity collection all the time as part of real-time load-balancing
allocation & re-organization.

my brother recently needed to mail me a large amount of data ... and
went out and got a USB terabyte external drive for under $100. I just
did quick online check and there are external USB 1.5terabyte drives on
sale for $99.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970