On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:29:08 +0000, Roy Hewitt wrote:

>My point was about the structure of the way the system is set up, names etc..
>I mentioned the fact
>that IBM took years to finally get rid of version numbers in dataset names.
>Anyone who knew what

Java is still burdened with version numbers.  At least they could
support a symlink, without version numbers, to the production version.

>with all this flexibility, but look how complicated and unwieldy it is. Yes,
>you get to find you way
>  around it eventually, but it must be a nightmare for 1st time users to try
> and decide what to use
>for names and they have no idea if what they choose is going to make it
>difficult next time around.
>But what can IBM do now? They have allowed all this flexibility, and now need
>to support all the
>plethora of dataset names at each and every site. And remember that was my
>original point.. too much
>flexibility, so much so that it can become a burden.  Wouldn't it be so much
>easier to know that
>ISP.SISPPENU (et al for the other ~1000 datasets) were called that always and
>everywhere and you

And yet it has been argued here, foolishly, IMO, that site naming
conventions must take priority over vendor naming conventions.
(I believe the argument was, "One must have standards.")

>Take a look at other OS, and I'm not saying their install process is
>necessarily good, but..and its
>a big but, they each use a standard layout. Maybe it's because nearly every
>other OS uses a
>hierarchical directory structure, but it certainly makes it a hell of a lot
>easier to know that when

Heck, levels in data set names could be used to simulate a
hierarchy.  Might require JCL symbols to achieve the effect
of "current working directory".

>your looking for xyz, you'll find it in /usr/lib ..etc.. (no pun intended ;-)
>) or wherever its
>supposed to live.

I'll moderate my Firefox example.  Periodically, I go to mozilla.com
and fetch the install package and archive it.  And I do have a few
generations of bootable whole-drive backups.

I'm pondering how to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard because I
now have 3 applications I can't upgrade because of downlevel OS.

-- gil