On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:58:23 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>problem is with DASD space. I needed to grab 10 3390-3 volumes for the
>z/OS 1.10 install. And our management here is looking at "wasted" DASD
>space, so I can't keep the volumes around very long.

Less than two decades ago, I had to work overtime and save money
to afford a 200 MB external SCSI drive, and I had to ride my
bicycle two miles, uphill both ways, to CompUSA to buy it.
You should be grateful that your management allows you to use
150 times that storage capacity, even temporarily.

>CA is adopting this type of process as well with their Mainframe 2.0. I
>was at the demo and was impressed.

I saw their demo at SHARE.  I was impressed particularly that it's
SMP/E under-the-covers, giving the systems programmer access to all
the facilities and artifacts of SMP/E.  I wonder whether they market
it to support IBM and ISV products, also?  Likewise, I wonder whether
the client interface is an off-the-shelf HTTP client, not requiring
installation of an agent on the desktop?

-- gil