To confirm the VTOC was inabled.  This was verified via ISMF.

--- On Fri, 25/12/09, Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com> wrote:

From: Mark Zelden <mark.zel...@zurichna.com>
Subject: Re: INCREASING SIZE OF VIR - VTOC INDEX RECORD
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

I want some of what they're smokin'.    It's either full, or it's not and there
is no performance difference that I ever heard of.  Actually, if you
could measure it, perhaps a (grossly) over-allocated VTOCIX would
probably perform worse.

Are you sure it wasn't a disabled VTOCIX?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:40:17 -0800, John Dawes <jhn_da...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Barry,
>
>Our Capacity performance group said that the slow response time for some
volumes was caused by the small VTOCIX.  The suggestion was made to increase
it.

VIR in the dataset.

>The job matches what I use (except I don't include the VTOCIX DSN in the
first step).

>But what makes you think the VTOCIX is undersized?  The CVAFDSM macro will
tell you how many VIRs are still available in the dataset.

Of John Dawes
>Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:04 AM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: INCREASING SIZE OF VIR - VTOC INDEX RECORD
>
>Good Evening To All,
>
>We have noticed that some of the VIRs on several volumes are very small.
We would like to increase the size.  I am not sure if I am on the right
track this is why I need your help.

>The VIR exsists on the volume and in order to increase the size I will need
to purge it and reallocate it.  Below are the 2 jobs I would like to use.
Would they work?  Is there another way of going about it?  I would welcome
your suggestions.

>Job to delete the VTOCIX
>
>//STEP1 EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,REGION=3M
>//MYVOL DD  UNIT=(3390,,DEFER),VOL=SER=PROD21,
>//          DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.PROD21,DISP=SHR
>//SYSIN     DD *
>//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
>//SYSIN DD  *
>BUILDIX DDNAME(MYVOL) OSVTOC PURGE
>/*
>Job to build the VTOCIX
>
>/*
>//STEP01   EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,REGION=4M,PARM='NOREPLYU'
>//PROD21   DD DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.PROD21,UNIT=SYSALLDA,
>//      VOL=SER=PROD21,DISP=NEW,SPACE=(CYL,(2))
>//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
>//SYSIN DD *
>  BUILDIX  IXVTOC,DDNAME(PROD21)
>/*
>//

>send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now:
http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/