On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:15:17 -0600, R Hey <sys...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>For a heavy (100+ jobs) nightly batch runs, my client has 6 SC :
>
>BATHI       ,BATMD       , BATLO        : JES init
>BATWLMHI ,BATWLMMD ,BATWLMLO  : WLM init
>
>Used by different job classes.
>
>Is it better to use:
>
>1- same IMP for all, & use different Velocity,
>or
>2- different IMP & Vel,
>or ... ?
>
>My client uses:
>
>*HI     i2  V20
>*MD    i3  V10
>*LO     i4  V5
>
>TIA,
>Rez

You shouldn't mix WLM and JES2 controlled inits in the same service class,
so I can see why there are 6 (3 for each).   It's a side issue... but if they
are still using JES2 inits for a very limited workload / set of jobs, do
they really need 3 SCs for it? The less total SC periods active in the
LPAR that can manage the workload, the better for WLM.

To answer your question:   I really can't, only you or your client can.  Are
they really all the same importance or are some more important (enough)
to classify them to a SC with different importance?  Importance is the first
factor WLM considers when the SC needs to donate or have cycles donated
to it (in general, assuming no resource groups).

I generally would not recommend using the same importance for all
those batch service classes (especially 3).   If you were to make 1 or
more the same importance, a velocity difference of 5 would be pretty
meaningless.  A difference of 10 or more should be used.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com