On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:27:11 -0600, Mark Zelden wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:15:17 -0600, R Hey <sys...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>For a heavy (100+ jobs) nightly batch runs, my client has 6 SC :
>>
>>BATHI       ,BATMD       , BATLO        : JES init
>>BATWLMHI ,BATWLMMD ,BATWLMLO  : WLM init
>>
>>Used by different job classes.
>>
>>Is it better to use:
>>
>>1- same IMP for all, & use different Velocity,
>>or
>>2- different IMP & Vel,
>>or ... ?
>>
>>My client uses:
>>
>>*HI     i2  V20
>>*MD    i3  V10
>>*LO     i4  V5
>>
>>TIA,
>>Rez
>>

>You shouldn't mix WLM and JES2 controlled inits in the same service class,
>so I can see why there are 6 (3 for each).   It's a side issue... but if they
>are still using JES2 inits for a very limited workload / set of jobs, do
>they really need 3 SCs for it? The less total SC periods active in the
>LPAR that can manage the workload, the better for WLM.

I agree.  Keep it as simple as possible.  100 jobs per night is not nearly
enough transactions for WLM to effectively manage 6 service classes.

It might make sense to look at response time goals.  You can account for
variability in run time with lower percentiles.  It may be that your "LO"
jobs should run in discretionary.

--
Tom Marchant