<snip>
This can't be right.   Adjustments to goals / DPs are made every 10
seconds.
Could you imagine if online systems in different service classes with
the same importance behaved this way?  For example, CICSPROD with
IMP=2 and DB2PROD with IMP=2.
</snip>

1) Generally (unless you are really really huge) CICS/DB2 are at the top
of the CPU food chain and will *NEVER* perceive 100% utilization. I.E.
to those address spaces, the CPU is *NEVER* 100% busy. There is adequate
CPU for all.

2) Both CICS and DB2 (usually) are monitored for performance at the
transaction level, not the address space level

The workloads I discussed are 2 separate batch service classes (one for
WLM inits and one for JES inits). They are behind the onlines, and thus
*CAN* perceive 100% busy. Either can consume 100 percent of the
available CPU (after the loved ones are taken care of).

Actually during some of the early investigation, I had WLM L2 look at
what was going on at the 10 sec level via a dump of the WLM address
space. According to WLM L2, it took that long for enough delay samples
to accumulate and convince WLM to make an adjustment. This was not shown
by RMF II or RMF III.

They made a suggestion to increase the performance objective to make WLM
more responsive. I.E. MPL/DP adjustment made sooner rather than later.

This has lead to more periods of "continuous distribution" and fewer of
"alternating distribution". However, I have not been able to completely
eliminate the "alternating distribution" phenomenon.

This has been explained to my satisfaction and I feel this is an
artifact of my particular workloads. I do concur with Ted, that the
design choice made then may have been less than optimal but I have to
live with it and get my work done.