-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Lindy Mayfield
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 2:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Source code for s/360

i can do that on vm?  create my own instruction?
<SNIPPAGE>

I'd suggest modifying PGMFLIH (PCP, OS/360, etc.) to recognize PRIV &
OP. Then using a table, use the OP to index and pickup the address of
the "instruction" handler. This way, if the PIC 1 is set, you are
handling a PRIV, if PIC 2 is set a user issued an instruction that is
not supported for them.

DOUBLE CHECK that the base 360 instruction set opcodes have not been
reused!!

As long as the instructions are not reused, you can effectively solve
the I/O handling this way.

The PSW:12 is going to be tough. That tells the S/360 hardware that you
are doing ASCII or EBCDIC. Its meaning is very different today.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --