-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ivan Warren
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 3:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Source code for s/360

Lindy Mayfield wrote:
> Probably you know this, but it won't assemble, giving this error:
>
> Ready; T=0.01/0.01 15:54:28
> a ipl1
>
> ASSEMBLER (XF) DONE
> IPL00080        8          SIE   X'009'
> IFO078 UNDEFINED OP CODE
> NUMBER OF STATEMENTS FLAGGED IN THIS ASSEMBLY =     1
> Ready(00008); T=0.01/0.01 15:54:30

Oh.. That's expected.. SIE aka 'Start Interpretive Execution' is the
instruction at the heart of XA, S/390 and z/Architecture virtualization
(and which doesn't exist in S/370) is very unlikely to be found in good
ole IFOX !
<snippage>

This is part of the IEF (Interpretive Execution Facility). I can't
remember if it was started with VM/HPO or if it didn't actually show up
until 370/XA. I do know that Amdahl had specific VM assists in
Macrocode, but that was a long time ago in another life. At any rate, I
think you had to have ASM-H (the immediate predecessor to HL-ASM) to
have certain of these instructions (such as some of the B2xx
instructions to allow you to communicate with the service processor).

And you have hit upon another problem. Certain instructions used in
macros from the F Assembler days won't work in the H-ASM or HL-ASM
environments (macro debug that F had is not supported by the new
assemblers).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --