On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:19:50 -0500, P S <zosw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ah, true, if SIE handles it, you're SOL. But since 370ACCOM works, I
>*think* an invalid opcode gets to CP. Would have to look; as you say,
>in the (bad) old days, we know CP would have been handling it for
>sure! SIE is pretty amazing...

A DAT-off operating system with 370ACCOM ON just might work.  370ACCOM
doesn't just cover I/O, but also handles BC-mode PSWs, storage key
management, the interval timer, interruption parameters, and other
S/360-S/370 widgets.

See Ch. 27 or so in the CP Programming Services book for a complete
description of the 370 Accommodation Facility.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
Endicott, NY