I was told (years ago,different hardware) that the pipeline was filled
with the  appropriate number of NOPs. Might have just been an engineer
finding a convenient explanation for a sysprog though ...

I always wondered how that worked across different workloads - with all
the smarts built into the hardware to optimize overlapped pipeline
stages and branch prediction.
No doubt a better answer will arise.

Shane ...