Ted

I went three years without running defrag on a development system that
usually ran 3-15% free space. I just got really good at SMS and ACC/SRS and
employed similar rules in production.

We had applications using symbolics to specify small/medium/large/huge for
space in JCL and ACC would change that to an appropriate DATACLAS. Nothing
in production got an allocation larger than (CYL,(500,250)) and the same JCL
in development allocated files 90% smaller ~ (CYL,(50,3)).

Fragmentation indexes were through the roof, and x37 abends were rare as
hen's teeth.

I agree with aggressive migration policies, backed up with thrash detection.

Ron

Behalf Of