________________________________
From: Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, March 4, 2010 2:14:52 PM
Subject: Re: Defrag

>I agree wholeheartedly!

I don't. It's a tool. Use it when necessary.

>Out of the 78TB I have, I have only one volume that ever needs to be defragged
>(every couple months).

You're fortunate.
Not all of us have the luxury.
Don't get me wrong.
Defrag, as evil as it may be, is still a valid tool.
Don't do unnatural acts just to avoid it.
----------SNIP--------------------------

A couple of places I worked were doing defrag's "because we have always done
it".
Personally I think its move of a case of what kind of work the place does than
anything.
After doing research on a couple of companies I figured out that it really
wasn't needed and stopped the defrags (which were being done on a weekly
basis). Some small tuning of volumes and some ACS routines the defrags ended
and were never run again as I took away the RACF privileges to the STC's. I
think over the following year we had 1 space issue and it was a temporary
condition. No more extra OT for the operators that was a benny that made the
operators happy as we had to have two on at all times when the computer was
powered up.

Ed