Let me get this straight:  You think this is a valid argument when applied to
security, but somehow thought that the same argument applied to OS
maintenance/release was somehow refuted?

>>> George Henke <gahe...@gmail.com> 03/04/10 6:22 PM >>>
I think I may have finally come upon a valid justification for a separate
UAT, QA LPAR; maybe the only justification.

You can only have one instance of Security, RACF, ACF2, TSS, in an LPAR,
z/OS Domain, at any one time.

Since, for QA testing, the need is to mirror PROD Security so that the
security rules for a change being made are tested *before* moving the change
to PROD, then there would need to be a separate LPAR to hold a separate
Security DB that mirrored the PROD DB.

Since the DEV LPAR already has a DEV Security DB and there can be only one
instance of a Security DB per LPAR, this would preclude the mirroring of the
PROD Security DB in a DEV LPAR, and is sufficient reason for creating a
separate LPAR for QA, UAT, testing.

Of all the justifications, presented thus far, for creating a separate LPAR
for QA, UAT testing, this appears to be the only one that cannot be refuted.

However, it still "begs the question", why have LPARs at all, because
separate Security DBs *can* be configured in separate Virtual Machines
running separate instances of z/OS under z/VM without LPARs at all.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net> wrote:

> --------------------------------------<snip>-----------------------------------
>

> FORTRAN H and FORTH are two very different languages. I don't know if there
> was ever a FORTH implementation for OS/360.
>
> -----------------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------------
> I was completely unaware of a FORTH processor/language.
>
> ---------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------
>

> BTW, FORTRAN H was written in FORTRAN H, a much uglier language than BSL
> and its descendants.
>
> ---------------------------------------<unsnip>-------------------------------------
> Parts of the FORTRN H compiler were written in FORTRAN; other parts were
> written in Assembler.
>
> --------------------------------------
> Rick

George Henke
(C) 845 401 5614

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.