Steve Dover wrote:
I am hoping for some 'guidance' from the experience on this site. I am working at one of those 'small shops' that have been discussed on here recently. In or around 2000, installed 7060-H70 (2 cps, 2 GB storage). When I started here (the first time) had just finished upgrade to OS/390 V2.9. I upgrade within 18 months to V2.10. Then CIO decided we were moving everything to SAP. Mainframe would be dead within 5 years (that would have been around 2007). Short term plans were to upgrade OS to z/OS V1.4 and ride the box into the sunset. Now it is 2010, SAP says that the number 1 application on mainframe will still be on mainframe for at least 5 more years, maybe forever. So we are installing a new 2098 BC (K02, 2 cps, 8 GB memory) and z/OS V1.11. New mainframe, new OS, and it will all be installed on new DASD.

Are you coming to SHARE in Seattle? This session should be of great interest to you:

Session 2237: Managing z/OS Replacements Outside the Three Year Window
Wednesday, March 17 3:00 PM
Speaker: Brian Westerman (Syzygy)

During this session, the speaker will be showing comparisons of the various methods of conversion from unsupported operating system releases, comparing the effort and cost required to perform internally and via an external consultant. He will point out some of what he calls 'pitfalls' in the IBM supported method that most people do not see and help quantify the collateral effort in extra testing, and extra involvement of users in the testing effort, if you attempt to quick step multiple release migrations to catch up. Lastly, he will provide comparisons of the time he found was required to jump between various releases: 1.4 to 1.10, 1.5 to 1.9, 1.7 to 1.10, 1.8 to 1.9, OS/390 2.7 to 2.9 to z/OS 1.9, etcetera. The knowledge and insight this speaker will provide should be useful to any system programmer, even those lucky enough to have never been asked to upgrade from an unsupported operating system release.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc