----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Dover" <steve.do...@ccbcc.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 9:10 AM
Subject: Migrating from z/OS V1.4 to z/OS V1.11

I am hoping for some 'guidance' from the experience on this site. I am working at one of those 'small shops' that have been discussed on here recently. In or around 2000, installed 7060-H70 (2 cps, 2 GB storage). When I started here (the first time) had just finished upgrade to OS/390 V2.9. I upgrade within 18
months to V2.10.  Then CIO decided we were moving everything to SAP.
Mainframe would be dead within 5 years (that would have been around 2007).
Short term plans were to upgrade OS to z/OS V1.4 and ride the box into the
sunset. Now it is 2010, SAP says that the number 1 application on mainframe will still be on mainframe for at least 5 more years, maybe forever. So we are
installing a new 2098 BC (K02, 2 cps, 8 GB memory) and z/OS V1.11.  New
mainframe, new OS, and it will all be installed on new DASD.

After reading a thread from May and June of 2007 (started I believe by John
Matson), can I use the V1.4 OS to drive the install of the V1.11 OS on the
new machine? I did see in the thread issues with the USS space, but I have had USS issues before. This is about as vanilla a shop as you can find. CICS, no IMS, no DB2, we are using MQSeries and a very tiny bit of Java in USS. I am going to order the customized offerings driver in case, but it sure seems like it would be a lot easier if I could use my existing Test LPAR to drive the
install.  Once again, I will not be sharing anything, catalogs, JES Spool,
anything.  Thoughts?

Steve,

Check out my web site below for my SHARE presentation on unsupported upgrade paths. I've done an OS/390 V2R10 to z/OS V1R8 upgrade. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Thomas Conley, President/CEO
Pinnacle Consulting Group, Inc.
59 Applewood Drive