In looking at the manual, I see that I was assuming SMS managed volumes, not
volumes added via ADDVOL.
I also forget the original question. The HSEND DELVOL xxxxxx DUMP(PURGE
LASTCOPY)) suggested is needed if the tapes contain DFHSM DUMP (full volume)
files for volumes no longer in use. This is the only way I know to delete the
last copy.

   If the data is DFHSM back-up data, then running EXPIREBV should free the
out-dated files.

   I am assuming SMS and a tape management system with DFHSM configured a an
external data manager.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University