The OP has specifically stated the (original) volume in question was a
backup volume.

EXPIREBV has multiple flavors depending on SMS vs. non-SMS data. The
effects are "JCL controlled" for non-SMS data and the MGMTCLAS
specifications are used for SMS managed data.

HBDELETE will function regardless of the MGMTCLAS settings or SMS status
for the dataset(s).

<snip>
   In looking at the manual, I see that I was assuming SMS managed
volumes, not volumes added via ADDVOL.
I also forget the original question. The HSEND DELVOL xxxxxx DUMP(PURGE
LASTCOPY)) suggested is needed if the tapes contain DFHSM DUMP (full
volume) files for volumes no longer in use. This is the only way I know
to delete the last copy.

   If the data is DFHSM back-up data, then running EXPIREBV should free
the out-dated files.

   I am assuming SMS and a tape management system with DFHSM configured
a an external data manager.
</snip>