I finally got around to reading the actual Mainframe Executive article
in question.  The "Publisher's Notes" at the beginning of the issue
repeats the article's quoted statistics in a manner that implies they
relate to mainframe tape, and that fact the "Mainframe" is in the
magazine title implies the article is relevant to mainframes; but if you
read the actual article itself, whenever the author gets specific about
problems in use of tape, (interleaved records from multiple data
streams, managing physical tapes, Microsoft Exchange issues, etc., etc.,
etc.), it becomes increasingly clear he is not talking about IBM
mainframes and and z-architecture, but primarily about Microsoft
platforms and maybe some 'nix platforms.

No doubt the referenced statistics sources make clear they are about
Microsoft platforms, but the author and publisher both neglected to
communicate this, which makes it very misleading for a "mainframe" magazine.

Sent an Email to editor pointing out the error of their ways.  The
article has some relevancy to non mainframe server farms used in
Enterprise computing, but the fact that the author generalized to all
tape usage without realizing that most of his specific arguments against
tape usage are invalid in IBM mainframe, z/OS environments makes me
suspect that any "mainframe" experience of the author is very limited.
        JC Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org