From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Arthur T.
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Heads Up: APAR IO11698 - New SAF FACILITY
class definition required for any SMP/E use

On 2 Apr 2010 21:41:10 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
d10j...@us.ibm.com (Jim Mulder) wrote:

>>And this whole idea of trying to hide "Integrity"
APARs has outlived
>>its usefulness. If it ever had any.
>>I have no  gripe with fixing the hole then letting
the cat out of the
>>bag, but never doing it ?. Don't vendors ever learn
?.

>  We have no way of knowing when all customers have
applied a System
>Integrity fix to all systems, so that there are no
longer any exposed
>systems anywhere in the world.  Discussions right here
on IBM-MAIN
>suggest that some customers run releases which are no
longer supported,
>and a fix will never be available for those
unsupported releases.  As a
>courtesy to customers with exposed systems, we do not
discuss the
>nature of System Integrity APARs, since understanding
an exposure is
>one of the steps towards formulating a method of
attack on an exposed
>system.  Naturally, you may be curious about the
nature of an exposure,
>and of course, we would love to show off how clever we
were in
>discovering an exposure by telling you all about it.
However, we feel
>that your curiosity and our desire to show off are
overridden by the
>need to avoid unnecessarily assisting potential
attackers.

This particular fix, though, requires each company's
security department to define who can use SMP/E and in
what way.  Without knowing what the security hole is,
how can they know how to assign access?

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent
from.

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access
instructions, send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with
the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html