On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:31:01 -0500, Mary Anne Matyaz <maryanne4...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I know this post is probably going to be met with a lot of angst, but I've
>debated it a good bit and decided I need to warn people.
>
>z/OS 1.11 has been the toughest migration we have done in like 9-10 years.
>
>Please note, the above is my OPINION.
>
>Our troubles have not had anything to do with preparation, the migration
>guide, etc. Our troubles are all being addressed by IBM and OEM fixes.
>
>If you are planning to go to z/os 1.11, please stay on top of the hipers. I've
>tried to get a list of open apars, but to no avail. Right now I have 5 open
>apars myself!  That's never happened to me in 25 years of systems
>programming. And we're not beta, or even really, bleeding edge.
>The worst open apar I have now is OA32271, followed by OA32286. We can't
>run Hiperdispatch in z/os 1.11, as we still have a hang issue that occurs when
>we turn it on, no apar yet.
>
>Does anyone know the appropriate search term in IBMLink to get open apars?
>
>Again, I hesitated with this because all shops are different and YMMV, but I
>think this list is all about helping each other out, and that is my intent.

Thanks.  I hope my client doesn't experience any pain.

I'm doing my first "real" (as in development LPARs, but still highly used
and visible) migrations in a couple of weeks.  Been running 1.11 in
sandboxes since the end of February with no problems (other than some
lacking ISV maintenance  - mostly for software support by other groups than
"OS").   So I hope  things go smooth, but based on our sandbox testing, I
expect them to.   The 2 LPARs involved for my first migration run WAS
and SAP, but there is much less ISV software on those LPARs, so that
is why we typically upgrade them first.

I don't search for open apars, but I do make use of SMP/E REPORT
ERRORSYSMODS, use ASAP on IBMLINK and SMP/E REPORT MISSINGFIX.

As is...

FIXCAT(
  IBM.ProductInstall-RequiredService
  IBM.Coexistence.z/OS.V1R11
      ).

Don't ask me why I found some 1.11 PTFs that were mentioned in the
PSP buckets coded with "IBM.Coexistence.z/OS.V1R11" instead of
"IBM.ProductInstall-RequiredService".  Unless I'm wrong, fixes for 1.11
shouldn't have coexistence for 1.11 tags.  Maybe the person who coded
these PTFs didn't understand FIXCAT (no, I didn't open a PMR on this).

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net