Kurt

> Is anyone running linux on their mainframe?

IBM has been encouraging this idea for very many years now and I believe
successfully.

> If so, how are you running it? standalone? under zos? etc?

I'm pretty sure z/LINUX is *not* supported by z/OS - and this is supported by
later posts - but it is supported by z/VM - as usual - and this approach is
very
much encouraged.

> Are there any good redbooks or other documentation on installing and
running linux on the mainframe?

Using "linux system z" as search words gets you 204 hits, of which the
following look as if they could be useful for a neophyte:

Linux Handbook A Guide to IBM Linux Solutions and Resources - 2005

Linux for IBM eServer zSeries and S/390: Distributions - 2001

z/VM and Linux on IBM System z The Virtualization Cookbook for SLES 10 SP2 -
 2008

Note that "SLES" is a "distribution".

z/VM and Linux on IBM System z The Virtualization Cookbook for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5.2 - 2008

Note that "Red Hat" is another "distribution".

Practical Migration to Linux on System z - 2009

Chris Mason

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:30:45 -0700, Kurt Eastwood
<kurtms...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I hope those of your who have experience with linux on the mainframe would
be wiling to share your expertise.