>> IEBCOPY does not need APF authorization for every
>> operation. Is step 8 doing something different from all
>> the other steps? Something that might need APF auth.?
>
>AFAIK the above is not exact. IEBCOPY does check APF authorization
>before run. Try the following: copy IEBCOPY member to your private
>(non-APF) library and try to use it for any regular operation like
>copying PDS FB80. You'll get RC8.

You made me thinking, but I was sure there is a difference between
the different operations wiht respect to APF authorization
requirement. So I just tried two examples.

While IEBCOPY happily copied members from PDSE to PDSE even if running
unauthorized, it refused to do an UNLOAD operation on the same
source dsn. You get the
   IEB1099I *** IEBCOPY IS NOT APF AUTHORIZED ***
message in both cases, indeed (I didn't know), but obviously, it
is more of an information. The actual operation determines if
APF auth is really required or not.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse