Richards, Robert B. pisze:
Bang! For passing biased opinions! :-)

TCO studies are not always commissioned with predicable conclusions. Lots are
done in-house.
In-house TCO studies can also be biased. Of course that general remark, YMMV.

And if you have ever seen stupidity in action on TCO just look at any datacenter that has
an "acre" of racks of blades and tell me that those onesies and twosies
purchases to run SQL apps would not have been more cost-effective to deploy on a System
z. This is a true story and not an isolated one at that. I even had an idiot enterprise
architect tell me when I asked him about horizontal scalability of his apps and the
datacenter floorspace at ZERO tell me it was merely a real estate issue (build another
datacenter...sheesh!).
True but does not negate anythig I wrote.
BTW: Stupidity in action can also be observed in mainframe world.

Every shop I have ever been in DID grow in MIPS while I was there. No
smokescreen there.
You did not understand. I said that MIPS growth is no excuse/explantaion for shrinking number of mainframe shops. Sometimes mainframe shops disappear due to consolidation, but sometime because of migration to other plaforms. I bet the number of customers migrated off the mainframe is higher than number of new customers.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2009 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 118.763.528 zotych. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchway XXI WZ z dnia 16 marca
2008r., oraz uchway XVI NWZ z dnia 27 padziernika 2008r., moe ulec
podwyszeniu do kwoty 123.763.528 z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym
BRE Banku SA bd w caoci opacone.