On 27 Apr 2010 11:19:52 -0700, eamacn...@yahoo.ca (Ted MacNEIL) wrote:

>>Training for z/OS related cours are decreasing.
>
>Does that mean there are fewer mainframes?
>Or, does that mean there are fewer managers willing to spend money on training?

When the philosophy is to spend less on training, a strong criterion
for the next "upgrade" will be to go to a system that doesn't appear
to need in-house training.    Whichever system markets that fit has a
head start in selling itself.

>Don't get me wrong.
>I, regardless of the comments I've been making, DO believe that mainframes are
>shrinking.
>But, I'd like to see more than anecdotal evidence.
>Anything that cannot be substantiated is just more smoke.

I see another option - more consolidation.   Sure Ross Perot's idea is
old, but with so much better communication lines and distributed
processing, a computer center in Nebraska, backed up in Alabama can
run a hundred company's data needs.