>Yes, I realize there would be a single point of failure, and we  probably
>will not put them all on one volume.

There is a school of thought with this type of thing (it can apply to more
than just catalogs) that more than 1 or 2 increases your chance of
having a problem.    How many of your application(s) run out of just
one catalog?  IOW, if the data sets for your CICS / DB2 application
are in a few catalogs and those catalogs are spread over a few
volumes, it increases the chances for your app to have a problem if
any one of the few volumes fails (we are not talking about logical
errors in this discussion).

I'm not saying I subscribe to this philosophy, but it is something to
think about.   I can tell you that I have lots of catalogs sharing
volumes due to dasd migrations over the years (master catalog
excluded).

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net