How many of those "Prophets of Doom" knew what they were talking about but it worked for most executives.

The doom would have been real enough if the prophets had been ignored.

We began fixing that "Y2K thing'gie" in late 1992, a tad over 7 years before 2000. At that time it was mandatory in some jurisdictions to keep tax-related business records for seven years. In mid-1992 we recognised that from 1st Jan 1993, when our major product archived files, they would have the YY part of their discard date calculated as "00" (93+7=100 truncated to 00) and thus immediately appear "old" with the result that they would be deleted within 24 hours of capture! Of course there were other things to be fixed across all our products. I recall that another major effort was required in '97, but essentially, like many, we were done with "Y2K" before the start of 1998.

Countless other professionals did corresponding good work and as a direct consequence "Y2K" was not a disaster at all. One suspects that sections of the media were hoping it was going to be very bad (planes falling from the sky, toasters electrocuting their owners, elevators plummeting and countless other pieces of mundane equipment going Disney-dancing cranky.

And sure, as inevitably happens when there's a must-do-by-a-fixed-date project with an essentially unlimited budget and other boundaries very poorly defined, quite a lot of other stuff got slipped through under the guise of "Y2K remediation". Yeah, that's just human nature.

So, absent the total murderous malfunctioning of just about every aspect of our technical society, media can still occasionally squeeze a few column-inches out of "the great Y2K conspiracy to defraud us all" rubbish. Yawn.

There's a real story, which media doesn't cover, about how many of the Y2K fixes crafted back in the late '90s were not going to last for more than a few, maybe ten or fifteen years. And I'd guess at least some people decided that "this application will be replaced by (cut 'n paste from your favourite airline mag article here) no later than 2010!" Uh huh. Toxic residue from Y2K remediation will continue to surface as we plow on into the 21st century. And many of the people who know/knew the details are going/gone.

Ok, back to work (got an order for some square pegs).

Cheers to all,
Graeme