In the ASE labs for many years we've used a particular line of basic 56 function scientific calculators identified "under the badge" as the model SC107A. These were originally purchased in the late 1990's for the princely sum of $4.95 from the "office products" section of a major supermarket chain! (we've had an unofficial contest running since then to find an even cheaper hex-capable calculator.. yes, I know, but it's a case of so much time, so little to do.. :-)).

Last year, wanting to buy some more of these durable and functional little things, and not having seen them on sale for years, we used the Internet to locate the manufacturer of the SC107A. The Truly Electronics Mfg. Ltd, ( <http://www.truly.net>www.truly.net ) very kindly quoted us a price, FOB Hong Kong, USD1.85 each, minimum order of 1000 pieces. We actually thought about going ahead..! The "Christmas morning" atmosphere of opening up a parcel of 1000 calculators (actually 10 packs of 100 units each) would be intoxicating! Of course with (sea) freight and insurance the unit price would rise to about $2.50. And then, while we were still prevaricating we found the SC107A again! This time re-badged as "Office One 720", in the local K-Mart store for $9.95 ea. In snazzy dark grey with high-visibility white markings on keys and a hinged hard cover to protect its tender bits, it instantly drove a stake through the heart of the idea to purchase 1000 of the beloved items!

So, I'd expect that you can find this hardy little workhorse, under whatever badging, somewhere in chain stores that carry office products just about everywhere in the world. And if you can find one for a lower price than AUD9.95 (about USD8.40 today) then you will be winning in the "cheapest Truly" contest!

Cheers to all,
Graeme