Now just suppose you had say 20-30 of these little beasties (M1s) under V7,
spread out over 10-12 LPAR on 3 or 4 Z990 boxes. Oh well, glad I ain't a
SYSPROG or a DBA. Think I'll go out and put my retirement fund(both dollars)
into a nice DASD factory in the PRC.  Hmmm maybe I better not ...is this one
of the kinds of  "THINGS" that had to be done because of the 4G limit?

You must indeed pay for what you have to have to keep the business
competitive. However not ever wail of "We HAVE TO" is valid. If the SYSPROG
does NOT have control via perhaps very arbitrary limits then half the
yo-yos in the shop will each try to eat ALL of everything and demand MORE.
I will go to war with my SYSPROGs in a heartbeat if I am convinced the
particular cause is just. Most of the time, I lose by being convinced that
I was wrong, sometimes the just tell  me to ....., but sometimes I win, and
I always learn. Once in a VERY great while I even get to teach :-)

I am almost at the point of considering these things (computers, cell
phones, warm wash and blow dry potties, etc) not as a blessing that
enable mankind to deal with inevitable, geometrically mushrooming complexity
but as evil facilitators and enticers to that, in many cases completely
unnecessary, complexity. Am beginning to dream of requiring all government
agencies to keep ALL their records on parchment via quill.

Standard rant, ain't changed in forever. See William Cowper Brann's articles
in "The Waco Iconoclast" for a recent sample circa 1893 or so, esp on the
jimjams of modern industrial economies, outsourceing (IMPORTS), futility of
tariffs, followed by Slavic and Mongol hoards imported by the capitalists to
hold down wages, the telephone and velocipedes..

All on Project Guested.
http://www.gutenberg.org/

David Speake
TM Floyd & Company