On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:51:59 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>> Why does such a language need to be provided by IBM?
>> Can a third-party vendor provide it?
>>
>>     - Dave Rivers -
>
>It would be unreasonable for IBM to require a third-party product to
>customize z/OS, or to expect IBM to help diagnose strange z/OS failures
>caused by bad exits generated by some other vendor's product.  z/OS
>customization must be possible with what is included with z/OS.  So
>until IBM supplies alternative non-Assembler facilities for all exits
>and customization, some Assembler expertise would seem to be a requirement.

I'll disagree with that.  It's closing the OS in an undesirable way.
If the exit meets the interface specifications, I'd expect IBM to
provide help with diagnosis under terms of the service contract
regardless of the source language, using dumps, GTF traces, whatever
is available for debugging assembler programs.

And if the translator cascades through HLASM, as Dave Rivers's
product does, there is assembler source available for debugging.
There's a minor argument here for being able to use HLASM, not
only the ISV assembler, when supplying supporting information.

I once reported a bug in the firmware of a PostScript printer:

    "What application created your PostScript code?"

    "Vi."

I had typed it in by hand.  The bug didn't get fixed; it was called
WAD.

-- gil