"Paul Gilmartin" <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote in message
news:<listserv%201007060957004521.0...@bama.ua.edu>...
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:46:59 -0500, John Hooper wrote:
>
> >will now cause failures.  An improperly scheduled production job may cause
> >another to fail.  Someone will have to scour syslogs to find those jobs.
> >With
> >the front-end one job would just wait a little bit.  This facility has saved
> >thousands of failures over the years.  I assume others have had similar
> >issues
> >and either use data isolation or a 2x4 over the head approach.  It might be
> >worth a SHARE requirement to provide an exit point to address this problem.
> >
> At present, use of S99WTDSN is restricted to APF authorized jobs.

And that is a good thing, isn't it? You don't want everybody to create
deadlocks, only APF programmers.

There are 2 options:
1 Retry the allocation at some interval, for some period. SAS has the ability
for this in the FILENAME/LIBNAME statement. Dynalloc coders have it too of
course.
2 Return to JCL allocation. This will very much clear up the situation:
-The programmer does not have to worry about allocation, when the program runs,
it *has* the dataset.
-Jobs will simply wait and produce message for the operator, who can then
determine who is waiting and who is holding and what to do with the situaition.
The messages can also be trapped by your automation tool, which can then do the
determination and consequent actions.

Kees.

> A finer granularity of control by RACF, allowing certain jobs to use
> S99WTDSN with certain DSNAMEs might provide relief.
>

> -- gil

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286