On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 08:55:03 -0500, John Hooper wrote:

>                           ...  I do have a question.  What do most shops do to
>prevent this condition?  I see three options.  I hope there are more.  One - I
>think CA-MIM can address this problem.  Is that true?  Two - Totally
>physically isolate development from production and do not allow them to even
>see production files.  Three - Use the security system to not even allow READ
>access.  Again - how do you address this issue?

(One) CA-MIM can prevent propagation of ENQs to other systems.  Our
site exploits this for ISPF profile data sets to permit concurrent
LOGONs.

(Three) scarcely helps.  RACF does not intervene against ENQs.  If a
job contains "//N DD DISP=OLD,DSN=SYS1.LINKLIB", JES2 will bring it to
an initiator where it will wait until all other ENQs of SYS1.LINKLIB
are freed.

JES3 is likely different, perhaps not because of RACF.

--gil