All,

I recommend Lizette have a look at the papers "do you have one second
response time" and with "Everything You Know is Wrong," and decide from
empirical observation what a good response time is for the workload in
question.

For example, if this is predominantly read CA-IDMS or IMS DEDB, workloads
that have notoriously poor locality of reference because of key hashing,
then one would expect response time to be in the 5-15ms range, depending on
how busy spindles are and how the workload is short or long stroked.

If this CICS/VSAM application with a heavy random write load, than with a
4KB CISZ it would perfectly reasonable to expect response time to be less
than 0.5ms with near zero disconnect time if the workload has been laid out
to avoid destage skew. However turn on synchronous remote copy over 200km
and that 0.5ms will become more like 2ms.

And we could chat for hours about the affect of busy Initiator and Target
microprocessors on those long, chained IO that DFSORT and SYNCSORT like to
do... It's IO elongation at its best (or worse as the case may be).

So while one can come up with a rule of thumb for DASD response time, it
does require some categorization of the IO generated by the workload, and an
understanding of the underlying Disk topology that will process the IO
before one settles on the right rule of thumb. It will probably be somewhere
between what you want and what you are getting.

Ron

Behalf Of